hits
online
Friday, September 22, 2006
Hahah. People seem to have alot to gossip and talk about this week, no thanks to The Straits Times and their innovative way of providing entertainment. Intended for fun perhaps. But definitely not so for the IJ family.
The Sunday Times has taken a rather controversial role in forums after their article on IJ Girls was published. No doubt it has served the purpose of hype, but also drew many a sharp retaliation from IJ mouths all around the island. Edwin for a start, got "flamed" for just posting his views on the sensitive issue. What with an anonymous IJ girl throwing negative comments of all sorts up and down his poor flashbox.
I'll give my view of the issue then. I couldn't help but think, on the bus to school today, why IJ? Of all the girls schools. Why not MGS? Or SCGS? Or Crescent? And even the other, I would say, even more "easy" girls from what have you schools? Afterall, low socks and low belts seem to be the "in" thing these days. Miss Tan happened to tell us that during her time, girls wore socks with some "pom-pom" thing jingling at the back. What was it about IJ that made it such an clear- cut subject of unnecesary public scrutiny? The number of schools was the first answer that came to mind. But then again, probably because they are the most well-known and prominent girls schools around. And good ones at that.
Everyone wants to be "cool" and "stylish" these days. Not just girls, but boys too. And I think they all have this sort of cool image they want to portray to their society, regardless in school uniform or in street wear. There must be a preservation of image, something constantly maintained and built upon, so the other "cool dudes" would have nothing negative to say about their style, even in school uniform. It's the same everywhere with minimal exceptions. Girls wear short skirts and tight blouses while boys don loose jeans and spike their hair. So why IJ? The name and reputation?
I remember going to my sisters' school once (IJTP of course. Every female in my family passed through those doors). They were in primary school then and there were like posters everywhere, speaking in volumes the identity of an IJ girl. Things like " An IJ girl is polite" and "An IJ girl is respectful". And now we have IJ girls, from what I hear from my sister herself, girls wearing pink, orange, red and every other rainbow coloured undergarment to school. So much for Simple In Virtue then.
But then again, I am generalizing here, speculating in half-truths. I know for sure IJ breeds their girls to become ladies of grace and wit. Not to mention outspoken. And through my encounters with them, erm, "indecent" and "easy" wouldn't be the words to use. Afterall, there are worse girls (every girl wants to look good, that's a fact). And they can look good without revealing too much. Yes. I prefer to use the words "outgoing" and "sociable". They would serve as better adjectives. Call them euphemisms if you like.
But then, look at the IJ response. Fierce and out to kill. Storming forum pages and flaming blog posts. Nothing wrong with that. I would feel the same if my alma mater received such damaging comments. But what you feel must not control the way you act. I understand where all the salvos came from, but really, no point getting to worked up and flustered over some stupid article. I think IJ is stronger than that. Just say enough to remedy the problem. Then let it rest. If it isn't within the influence to silence wagging tongues. No matter how one screams, it wouldn't help.
Yes. I know people will argue about it being school pride and all. 152 years of proud history and heritage, Father Barre and all. I can imagine the Lasallian heritage being mangled and marred. And I can imagine the powerful vibes that will be produced. School name is important, especially schools of rich history. To receive an uncalled for blemish on the shield would be war. People like us are instant in reactions to such comments.
But is it really something uncalled for? Or is there another point to identify and rectify? Will this be a wake up call to all those "indecent" characters that have unknowingly hurt the IJ name?
Well. That remains to be seen.
10:43 pm
HANSEL RAPHAEL
♥: ManUtd, Rugby, Football, Bridge, Limeade & A good book.
Be happy <3
3
LINKED
Julian.
Iddie.
Aloy.
Nat.
Neek.
Hyo Seok.
Nicolas.
Mel.
Jon Chen.
Belmond.
Olga.
Edwin.
Moses.
Mandi.
Milli.
Francis.
Eugene.
Edgar.
Alex.
Jared.
Gabriel.
Andrea.
Michelle.
Zumanijovi.
Glenn.
Daniel.
Chris.
Ian.
Mon.
Joey.
Jervis.
Gideon.
Zul.
Charmaine.
Mathias.
Michael.
Zachary.
Marcus.
Barney.
Bentoh.
Gabby.
Gretch.
K7.
Jit Yong.
Ed-T.
Roth.
Po Xian.
Glen.
Wang Guan.
Jeremy.
Aaron.
Nigel.
SamB.
Jason.
Marc.
Sean.
Josh.
Zhen He.
Melvin.
Calvin.
Keith.
ENJOYED
Blogskins
SJI Prefects
321
Sanctus Spiritus Choir
QOAS
Gilbert Koh
Friendster
DAGBOART
October 2004
November 2004
March 2005
April 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
November 2007
December 2007
June 2008
January 2009
June 2009
January 2010
February 2010
April 2010
May 2010
February 2020
May 2020
June 2020
July 2020
August 2020
September 2020
October 2020
November 2020
December 2020
January 2021
February 2021
March 2021
April 2021
May 2021
July 2021
August 2021
October 2021
November 2021
December 2021
January 2022
March 2022
July 2022
August 2022
September 2022
November 2022
December 2022
February 2023
July 2023
February 2024
LAYOUT
♠
♠
♠
♠